Friday, July 25, 2008

Vegan Irish Brown Bread

I made this totally awesome soda bread a couple of days ago. It's rich and moist and weighs about twenty pounds (not really). It only took me about 40 minutes to make - 10 hands on and 30 to bake. I only had to use one bowl too, which is really awesome since I'm lazy and don't have a dishwasher. It does dry out really fast so keeping it in a gallon-size ziploc is a good idea. The flavor gets more soda-y over time, which I really enjoy. Plus, I just love Irish food. I can't decide whether it's just because I think Irish stuff is cool, or because I have some kind of genetic predisposition to like it, or because it's just tasty. Anything that's been around since 1840 is bound to be pretty good, though, right? I found out the reason they eat bread like this in Erin. I guess the climate prevents the raising of hard-kernel wheat, which keeps the bread from rising as easily as normal wheat bread, which means that yeast doesn't always do the job, hence the baking soda. So there's your education for the day. I think this recipe may have worked particularly well because I used home-ground wheat, but it's definitely not necessary. Without further ado, the recipe:

Ingredients

2 cups nondairy milk
2 tsp white vinegar
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purose white flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup rolled oats
2 tbl fake butter
(opt) 1 cup golden raisins


Preheat oven to 425 and grease 9in cake pan. In a measuring cup, combine fake milk and vinegar and let sit while you get the rest ready. In a LARGE bowl mix the flours, baking soda, salt, oats, and possibly the raisins. Add the butter and rub it into the flour with your fingers until you can't find any more big pieces. Stir in the fake milk and vinegar combo. Knead the dough in the bowl 10 times and shape into a flatish circle. Put it into the pan and cut a cross in the top. Bake for 30 minutes. Try a piece while it's still hot. I like it with fake butter and cinnamon.

BTW, legend has it that the cross is to ward off the devil.

No comments: